Sidney The Silly Who Eats Only 6 may be incredibly picky about the number of things he consumes, but he seems perfectly happy to fill up on just about any type of food! Find out if peanut brittle is among those edible items that he counts as a favourite!
It’s true! Peanut Brittle Day is almost upon us! If you’re looking for a fun and tasty way to commemorate the 26th, get cracking (those peanut shells) with the kids in your life and try your hand at the following recipe. Just remember to use extra caution when working with very hot items when children are nearby, and be sure to check if anyone has any allergies to the ingredients before tackling this nutty project!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shelled peanuts
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. In an 8 cup (2 quart) glass microwavable bowl, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, and salt and microwave uncovered on high for 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the peanuts and microwave uncovered on high for 3 to 5 minutes until mixture is a light golden brown colour.
4. Add the butter and vanilla and stir in well, then microwave uncovered on high for 1 to 2 more minutes – the peanuts will be lightly browned.
5. Add the baking soda and quickly stir it into the mix until it appears light and foamy.
6. Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and tap lightly against a countertop to achieve the desired thickness.
7. Let cool and break the peanut brittle into pieces.
If you would like to order a copy of Sidney The Silly Who Eats Only 6, click on the book cover below!
Our Creative Projects Columnist & Blogger